Retro Pages

Sunday 13 March 2011

Kirby's Dream Land

To kick off my Nintendo Game Boy Reviews, I thought I'd review not only the first Game Boy game I got, but one of the FIRST video games I got.

Kirby's Dream Land (which I got with my first Game Boy Colour and Pokémon Red), is still a game I pick up and play from time to time because of how it reminds me of my childhood, the music, the sound effects and the graphics are all very dear to me in that way and I pretty much love everything about this game save a few small points.


KDL, like all of the other Kirby games, is a simple, side-scrolling platformer.
You play as Kirby who sucks up enemies and either spits 'em out or swallows 'em,
one thing that did disappoint me about KDL was that it was slightly different from previous Kirby titles.
Normally you can find an enemy, swallow him and gain his powers but in this game you can't gain ANY powers from ANY enemies. Sure you can pick up the Microphone like last time, or even grab the Superspicy Curry or the Mint Leaf but it doesn't feel the same without the enemy powers and it also gives the swallow function no use what-so-ever. It may be disappointing but it's a small gripe and it doesn't affect the gameplay too much.


Playing through Kirby's Dream Land again brought back some serious memories,
The Green Greens level, the beach one, the cloud one, all remind me of when I was 3 again...
As I played through it for this review I tried to pick out my favourite piece of music and it was pretty hard but I settled for the Float Islands theme for it's tropical sound :D
I remembered all the bosses and how to beat them, all the tunes (I was whistling along to most of them)
and what I found interesting was the fact that Lolo from the NES game Adventure of Lolo made a cameo appearance with his girlfriend Lala as the 2nd stage's boss. When I was a child I hadn't known this as I had never played Adventures of Lolo but now noticing it for the first time was pretty cool.
If I had anything bad to say about this game other than the lack of abilities, would be that it is too short. This game can easily be beaten in 20 minutes if you know what you're doing and it's really a shame because it has so much charm and it seems like a waste because of it's length. There are only 4 stages with a boss ad mini boss each which still only takes 5 mins max to beat, You then have a stage which you have to replay small sections of previous levels and then beat their boss, after that you fight King Dedede and beat the game, so it is pretty short.
Either way, Kirby was a part of my child-hood and I still love it now,
It got me into gaming and for that I'm grateful to it
If you haven't played this game, try to pick it up somewhere you're sure to enjoy it

Toku-R

2 comments:

  1. Kirby is my one of my favorite video game characters. I'm currently playing Epic Yarn and can't wait to get more info on Kirby wii.

    I hope ninty releases KDL on the 3ds VC. The game's really hard to find now days. Fingers crossed :3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I guess by your avatar and I'm jealous.. I don't have Epic Yarn and probably wont for awhile :(

    And yeah it'd be great for more GB games to get on there, they deserve more recognition :) (Y)

    ReplyDelete