Retro Pages

Saturday 19 March 2011

Majora's Mask + More N64 Stuff

, --
Today was a good day, it was warm, the sun was out and there was not a single cloud in the sky..
More importantly I managed to bag another N64 Controller, a Rumble Pak and
The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask! All of that for only £17.00 too!


Getting Majora's Mask completes my Zelda N64 collection and brings me one step close to my Childhood collection. (I'm trying to collect every N64 game I had when I was a kid)

Majora's Mask was, like Ocarina of Time, a huge part of my childhood and one of the games I have most memories of and playing it again has brought back most of the feelings I had when I was young.
The main selling point of the game was the power of transformation given to you through the 4 masks you collect on your Journey
(one for each of the three main races and another special one)
You also collect 20 other masks throughout the game too and while it isn't necessary to collect them all, they are essential in the last part of the game if you want to receive the final, special mask.
Link receiving the Blast Mask
Other than the usage of masks, this game added quite a few other things since OoT.
First of all the Sound is clearly better, music is more detailed and has alot more going on in it and most, if not all, of the NPC's have voices when they speak which really adds to their character.
 Secondly the textures have been improved making everything look alot nicer.
Thirdly, and the one I like the most, is the addition of new animations for Link and other NPC's which, like the voices, gives them more character and makes them more life-like than before. I also love the fact that no matter how small the NPC is, they always seem to have a story behind them of some sort.
Link talking to Anju, the NPC who has, arguably, the longest and most indepth Sidequest 

However, even though MM improved on OoT in many ways, in my opinion it still can't stand up to Ocarina.
I can't quite put my finger on what it is, perhaps it's because I had stronger feelings towards Oot when I was younger? While I will admit that Majora's Mask's Storyline was alot deeper and more emotionally engaging, I don't think it was quite as epic as Ocarina of Time's, I know there will be people that disagree but that's just my personal opinion.
The other thing about MM vs Oot is the fact that Majora's Mask only has 4 Temples while Ocarina has 9.
Now I know that Majora's mask has alot more to do to get to the temples but I just don't think it justifies the drop in number.

Stone Tower Temple in Majora's Mask


Even though I'm only at the Woodfall Temple at the moment, playing through Majora's Mask has been IMMENSELY fun again.
One other thing, I thought I'd share a pic I took of my copy of Majora's Mask,
The Gold Cartridge is sexy..

I think this picture captures the dark theme of the game while still showing what fun it is to play :D


ALSO: My friends have a blog about Games, Anime and other stuff that has been going on,
It's called Duo Screen, please check it out!

http://duoscreen.blogspot.com/

Toku-R

2 comments: